Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Trial of adhesives and todays card

Hello. I decided to do a year long trial on the different types of glues and adhesive tapes. I was upset to go through my old cards I made a few years ago and find them falling apart. I used 12 different types of tape and glue on pieces of card and checked them every month to see how the adhesive was going.. Below are some of the types of adhesives I used..I don't have photos of some I used..




1#White double sided tape from the $2 shop-Lasted less than 2 mths before it came apart.
2#Sellotape double sided tape-Lasted the entire 12 mths.
3#Wonder tape and Thermo web- both lasted 12 mths.
4#Aleenes tacky glue-lasted 12 mths.
5#Aleenes clear gel tacky glue-Lasted 12 mths.
6#-sticky dots- tried several brands- none lasted more than 6 mths.
7#hot glue-Lasted 12 mths but better used for flowers.
8#Glue tape. Tried several brands from $1 to 6$. all came apart after before the 12  mths.
9# White PVA adhesive glue-lasted 12 mths but was too runny for me.

Summing up# I  will be using Aleenes white tacky glue for most of my cards, but only a little bit as it will leave a bubble on the card if too much is used. The Aleenes clear gel glue was good but too messy for me.
For double sided tape I will be using the Thermo Web or wonder tape for special projects and the sellotape for everything else as it is a lot cheaper.I think the result is the more expensive tapes are the best but some of the cheaper glues and tapes work just as well if not better. I found the sellotape double sided tape $2 was the best for a cheap tape.....Loz
What is your favorite adhesive?

Now onto today's card.
I have sponged a card with distress inks and added a cheery lynn santa sleigh and sentiment die.The trees are stampscapes images..Loz
I am entering this in MIM#158




27 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I mostly use a doublesided tape from a non crafting store and also Scotch Strong and precise glue, those has been the best for me.
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comparison Loz, thank you so much for the information, it's very informative. Next time I'm at the shops I'm going to stock up on the Sellotape!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Loz, Love you adhesive comparison, good info for all of us. TFS. I am going to find me some Sellotape asap.

    Chris Boldovici

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so amazing to do all this research for us! I usually use 1/4 double sided from the tape Depot. I buy in bulk lots (lastsf forever :D ) and averages 99 cents each that way. I use it in my ATG.

    I got tired of bows and embellishments falling off so I want back to my old standby glue gun - cheap cheap cheap and stays forever!

    Your card is just stunning! I love the gorgeous sponging and your color selection. Wow! Amazing!
    Hugs,
    Marie XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Loz! Thank you for all info on the adhesives. Your card is lovely - what a gorgeous sponged background - it's perfect for the santa silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to see you doing a scene Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this card, great background.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your eval of adhesives- I use the SU glue adhesive and double sided tape on the reels- expensive, but they hold well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi saw your card on MIM! I'm amazed at your creation and love how you've created the background. It's just stunning
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Loz, saw this off of MIM, love the reindeer, very nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very atmospheric Loz! Beautiful sky, spotted it on MIM xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Loz you certainly know your tapes and glues. the worst I found was the double side dispenser tape costly and the card fell to pieces in less than a month.
    Lovely scenic card.
    Hugs
    Margaret M

    ReplyDelete
  13. Auch ich habe schon viele Kleber ausprobiert und nicht alle halten, was sie versprechen.
    Ausserdem braucht jedes Material, seinen richtigen Kleber.

    Liebe Grüsse, Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your card, such a fantastic background, love the Santa die... Your information about tape is great... Don't think I've heard of Sello tape (will have to check it out).
    I linked over from the MIM Link Party where I am participating with my Spooky Halloween and Free Subway Art I would love it if you'd stop by.
    Hugs, antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the image you used on this fabulous Christmas card Loz! Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so maddening when your hardwork falls apart- thanks for sharing on MIM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW this is beautiful Loz, I love that fabulous Christmas scene! Popped over from MIM!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Loz, what a fabulous Christmas card, your stamping is stunning , wonderful with the trees and your image is just adorable!!

    hugs
    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card Loz, your sponging looks amazing. Love this die too. TFS your adhesive info, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Stunning card, Loz! Spotted this on MIM#158.
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card! I love the cloudy look to the sky. Thanks for the wonderful adhesive information. I'm visiting from Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful card Loz, love this design. Popped in from mim. Joey xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to see your research Loz, I use easy lift double sided tape for all my cards and Crafter's Pick tacky glue for flowers and embellies, both last really well. Your card is gorgeous, love the scene you created, I saw you on MIM x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely card! I saw it on MIM
    Thanks for the adhesive research. I use double sided tape for just about everything.
    Hugs, Renee
    PS I am #198 on MIM

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the info! Sounds like you did a lot of research!! Your card is stunning and I love the background!!! I saw it on Make it Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace center in line 4 with the new position as listed below: topleft to